Brancepeth Castle Golf Club was the only course opened by Harry Colt in Britain in 1924 and it remains almost exactly as he designed it, surviving an attempt at drastic remodelling in the 1960's. The characteristic Colt features are very much in evidence with steep faced bunkers on every hole save the 2nd, 9th and 15th and widespread use of the hollows ad mounds of earth which he used to such effect to disguise the length of the hole. Presumably the horse scoop the he favoured for making hollows was used at Brancepeth but it is known that some of the major construction work including the 2nd and 9th greens was carried out using hand tools only.
Some would argue that the terrain the Colt was given to work with at Brancepeth would have made it difficult to design a poor course but, by common consent, he used that terrain to glorious effect, producing a course that is both a challenge and an inspiration to play.
There is some debate over who collaborated with Harry Colt over the development of the course at Brancepeth Castle. It is listed in some publications as a Colt original with A Mack (All-star MacKenzie) and Mackenzie is credited with remodelling the 1898 James Brown original course at Northumberland only 20 miles away in 1924, the year the Brancepeth opened for play.
Recent articles on Brancepeth in two of the leading UK golf magazines have prompted enquiries and visits from golfers worldwide and it is clear that it's Harry Colt's name that has drawn people to the course.